Here we go.

29 December 2008

Oh, the time off work is sorely missed! I suppose it's time to get back to our regular, normal schedules. You know, riding out the rest of the sunless winter 'til March. Don't forget to feed the boids!

For days now, I've been trying to work together a menu for our New Year's Eve get-together. This shouldn't be difficult, but I aim to dazzle. So far, I've got Sabra hummus with pita chips. Chocolate chip cookies and banana bread. Panko-chicken nuggets. Lasagna. Challah & butter. And I think I'm gonna make some muh-fuh crabcakes. It'll be a first time for me -- should I totally blow it, at least I'll have a ton of food anyway. I've written & re-written this menu a dozen times now, so the actual results are TBA.

Since last year, NYE has been something of a dream-come-true for me. It's a handful of us, in a cabin in Ferndale, which is about 20 minutes outside of LR. We feast and are merry. That's pretty much it -- but-- it's so much fun! The cabin is a sight to behold. I cannot tell you how old it is, but it is OLD. It's an amazing restoration project with a few modern amenities added. There's electricity and running water, but it's heated with fireplaces. The land that surrounds it is lush & pretty. Sometimes, there are horses in the field. I ALWAYS bring apples for them to munch on. It's the right way to ring in the new year. It's the best way to ring in the new year. It's the only way...

Well, our search for a new couch was quick & fruitful. Is it any surprise that Ik3a is where we're ordering it from?
Any resolutions for the new year? We did pretty well last year. We use reusable bags ALL OF THE TIME and not just at the grocery store. We don't buy bottled water. And we recycle more than we make garbage.

For 2009:
1. Get in the habit of unplugging electronics not in use. Cellphone chargers, computer speakers, the hair dryer, the fan, etc. We've talked about getting one of those energy-saving power strips for our tv/dvd player. We really want to do this, so the only challenge is actually remembering to do it.
2. Lights out! Seriously, turn off lights not in use. We are usually pretty good at this, but it kinda goes with the first resolution.
3. I'd like to broaden my cooking skills and try new foods and harder recipes. I already warned my co-workers that they will be my test subjects. This is my THING!

January is looking good. We've got Tet and THE Inauguration to celebrate! Tet will be special in that 2009 is Year of the Ox -- that is ATM's sign! As for THE Inauguration, Eclipse Glasses will be playing some gigantic affair in the Clear Channel Metroplex which is hilarious and awesome at the same time.


2 comments:

nicole said...

Lovin' the teal sofa. Cheers to a happy 2009!

Anonymous said...

is there an ikea in arkansas? i was think i could buy some ikea baby stuff for my future nephew and blow his parents mind with the affordability and well-designed charm of the grap noblat and the bropiis glimmat, etc.

Blog Archive